On salads, sandwiches, pizza, pasta, chicken, fish, antipasto boards or alone, I always have oven roasted tomatoes in the fridge! Low and slow is the best way to roast tomatoes for the most juicy, concentrated result.
Grocery store tomatoes can be pretty pale and pathetic. My trick for bringing tomatoes back to life is slow-roasting them, yielding juicy, intensely flavorful morsels of tomato heaven!
How to Roast Tomatoes
Low & Slow
The recipe is simple. Roast tomatoes, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with dried herbs, in a 250-degree oven for 2 hours. That’s it!
The Faster Method (If You’re In A Rush)
Roast your tomatoes at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. They won’t be quite as delicious.
What Kind of Tomatoes Are Good For Roasting?
The best type of tomato for roasting is Campari tomatoes.
Campari tomatoes are meaty, sweet, and have a low acidity. They are bigger than cherry tomatoes but smaller than a plum tomato. They have an especially intense flavor and retain their juices when roasted!
You can also use Cocktail tomatoes if you can’t find Campari tomatoes.
How to Store Roasted Tomatoes
Store roasted tomatoes in the fridge, in an airtight container, for a week.
Reheat in a 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes, or serve chilled.
10+ Ways to Use Roasted Tomatoes
These roasted tomatoes are sweet and absolutely delicious alone, as a snack or a side dish. You can also layer them on:
- Salads – try substituting roasted tomatoes for the fresh tomatoes in a Tomato & Cucumber Salad. Also try this Creamy Curry Lime Salad.
- Sandwiches – they’re so divine on Pesto Chicken Cutlet Subs or Turkey Club Sandwiches.
- Pasta – try this Pasta Alla Norma, mix into Greek Pasta Salad or top on Penne Alla Vodka.
- Chicken – on simple Juicy Baked Chicken Breast or Bruschetta Chicken.
- Fish – try Puttanesca Cod.
- Antipasto boards
- Bruschetta – try Bruschetta Three Ways.
More Tomato Recipes On Tastefully Grace!
- Simple Homemade Grated Onion Tomato Sauce
- Clams on Toast with Blistered Tomatoes, Corn & Calabrese Salami
- Sun-Dried Tomato Olive Tapenade ‘Pesto’
- Tomato Sandwiches
- 12 Campari tomatoes halved
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or dried thyme, Italian seasoning, or Herbes de Provence
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Place tomatoes on a baking sheet, cut-side up. Drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle with dried herbs. Do not salt.
- Roast in oven for 2 hours.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with salt.
- Substitute Cocktail tomatoes for Campari tomatoes if needed.
- Need a faster method? Roast your tomatoes at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. They won’t be quite as delicious.