Homemade strawberry lemonade takes only 10 minutes to make using fresh strawberries and lemon juice, and a secret ingredient for sweetness.
And the secret ingredient is…light agave nectar! The traditional method of creating a simple syrup on the stove is time consuming and just not worth it. Light agave nectar is a natural sweetener that has a neutral flavor, working as the perfect sweetener for strawberry lemonade without the hassle and mess.
Once you’ve made your own strawberry lemonade in just 10 minutes, it’ll be hard to go back to store-bought. Keep it in the fridge for up to a week for a refreshing beverage you can feel good about all day long.
If you’re obsessed with refreshing strawberry beverages like I am, you don’t want to miss this Healthy Strawberry Banana Smoothie too!
Strawberry Lemonade Ingredients
- Fresh strawberries – fresh, ripe strawberries make the best strawberry lemonade. You’ll want to remove the green tops (hull them) before adding them to a blender.
- Cold water – cold water will loosen your strawberry lemonade so it’s lemonade, and not a smoothie!
- Fresh lemon juice – you’ll typically need 4-6 lemons for this lemonade. I don’t recommend pre-squeezed lemon juice in a bottle.
- Light agave nectar – Agave nectar, also known as agave syrup, is a natural sweetener derived from the sap of the agave plant. Agave nectar is produced by extracting the juice or sap from the core of the agave plant, which is then filtered, heated, and concentrated to create a syrup-like liquid. It is sweeter than sugar, so smaller amounts can be used to achieve the same level of sweetness. Light agave nectar has a mild, neutral flavor too!
- Ice (to serve) – if you like strawberry lemonade extra cold, make sure you have ice on hand!
How to Make Strawberry Lemonade
Full instructions in the recipe card; this is just an outline!
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until lemonade forms. Skim off foamy top.
Stir before serving unfiltered. Strain through a fine sieve if you prefer filtered strawberry lemonade.
- Choose ripe and flavorful strawberries: Look for strawberries that are deep red. Ripe strawberries will contribute the best flavor to your lemonade.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice: Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best flavor. It’s worth the effort to juice lemons yourself rather than using store-bought lemon juice.
- Adjust sweetness and tartness: Taste your lemonade as you go and adjust the sweetness and tartness to your liking.
- Chill before serving: Allow your strawberry lemonade to chill in the refrigerator before serving. This will enhance the flavors and make it even more refreshing.
- Stir before serving: If you’re serving unfiltered lemonade, make sure to stir before serving. Separation is natural.
Make Ahead & Storage
- Store: store in the refrigerator, in a covered pitcher.
- Make ahead: strawberry lemonade is delicious made ahead. Keep refrigerated and use within 7 days.
- Freeze: freeze strawberry lemonade for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container, leaving some headspace for expansion. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour (for smaller quantities). Stir well before serving. Alternatively, use frozen lemonade cubes directly in a glass or blend with additional liquid to make a slushy.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I don’t recommend using store-bought lemon juice. Fresh lemon juice is worth the “squeeze”!
Strawberry lemonade and pink lemonade are not the same. Strawberry lemonade is made with fresh strawberries, while pink lemonade gets its color from additives or dyes.
Absolutely! Add in your choice of alcohol (vodka, gin, sparkling wine, tequila, or rum). Start with 1-2 ounces per cup and adjust accordingly.
Yes! Substitute regular water for carbonated water in equal parts.
Yes, you can make strawberry limeade instead of lemonade using 1 cup of fresh lime juice instead of lemon juice.
Other Strawberry Recipes You’ll Love!
- Easy Strawberry Pound Cake
- Healthy Strawberry Banana Smoothie (Secret Ingredient!)
- How to Make Mom’s Homemade Strawberry Preserves
- Strawberry Muffins
- Large blender
- 1 pound fresh strawberries hulled
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice typically 4-6 lemons
- ⅓ cup light agave nectar see notes for sweetness
- Ice to serve
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend for about 1 minute or until lemonade forms. Skim off foamy top if desired.
- Stir before serving unfiltered, with ice. Strain through a fine sieve if you prefer filtered strawberry lemonade.
- I love unfiltered lemonade (kind of like orange juice with pulp). After storing in the fridge, you’ll need to stir strawberry lemonade before serving since the pulp/seeds settle.
- 1/3 cup light agave will yield a moderately sweet strawberry lemonade. For sweet-tart lemonade, use ¼ cup light agave. For very sweet lemonade, use ½ cup light agave. Sweetness also depends on the sweetness of your strawberries!
- If time allows, chill before serving.
- This recipe yields roughly 6 cups of unstrained lemonade or 3-4 cups of strained lemonade.