The best avocado toast is with smoked salmon, sliced cucumber, pickled onion and everything bagel seasoning. This avocado toast is the ultimate easy breakfast, brunch, lunch OR dinner!
There’s a ton of stereotypes about avocado toast out there: it’s boring and flavorless, it’s eaten by millennials and millennials only, it’s totally hipster, etc. This avocado toast is none of these things! It’s loaded with flavor and color, bringing avocado toast from blah to the ULTIMATE meal.
Take a piece of your favorite toast, smash avocado right on there, generously layer smoked salmon, thin sliced cukes, homemade pickled onion and everything bagel season (AKA heaven).
How to Make the Best Avocado Toast
The best avocado toast is easy to make! FULL instructions are in the recipe card below (this is just an outline!).
- Pick just-ripe avocados.
The best avocados for avocado toast are just-ripe, with a little give when squeezed but aren’t overly ripe and mushy!
- Pickle your onion.
In a bowl, add water, vinegar and onion. Let onions pickle for at least 10 minutes.
- Mash your avocado.
Scoop half an avocado onto each piece of toast. Use the back of a fork to mash your avocado to desired consistency.
- Layer your toast.
After the smashed avocado is added to your toast, place a layer of smoked salmon and a layer of cucumber on top. Drain your pickled onions and pat them dry with paper towels. Sprinkle a small handful of pickled onion on top of your cucumber. Sprinkle toast with desired amount of everything bagel seasoning!
Serve your avocado toast with lime or lemon wedges.
- Sliced bread – toast your favorite sliced bread. I like multigrain or sourdough toast the best!
- Avocados – choose just-ripe avocados that aren’t super mushy but also aren’t hard.
- Smoked salmon – I use cold-smoked salmon without any flavoring but you can use whatever looks the best in the grocery store!
- Cucumber – I thinly slice half an English cucumber using a mandolin.
- Red onion – I also thinly slice a small red onion using a mandolin.
- Red wine vinegar – red wine vinegar is tangy and bright red in color, giving your red onion an extra burst of color while pickling them.
- Cold water – cold water is mixed with red wine vinegar to dilute the vinegar and make it less pungent.
- Everything bagel seasoning – everything bagel seasoning can typically be found right in the grocery store in the spice aisle. If you can’t find the blend, you can make your own! See the instructions listed in the FAQs.
- Lime or lemon wedges – serve your avocado toast with lime or lemon wedges for a fresh pop of acid.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Everything bagel seasoning can typically be found pre-blended in the spice section of your grocery store! If you can’t find it, make your own by mixing together 1 tablespoon poppyseeds, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, ½ tablespoon dried garlic, ½ tablespoon dried onion, and 1 teaspoon coarse salt.
If you can’t find ripe avocados in the grocery store but don’t have time to let them ripen normally, place your avocados in a brown paper bag at room temperature with a banana or apple. Seal the bag shut and your avocados should ripen in half the time (about 2 days).
Avocado toast is so healthy! This version is especially healthy with fresh veggies and smoked salmon. See the nutrition facts in the recipe card below.
What to Serve With Avocado Toast
Avocado toast is a delicious, complete meal on its own! You can also serve avocado toast with one of the following sides, depending on the time of day:
- Healthy Strawberry Banana Smoothie (Secret Ingredient!)
- Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs
- Raw Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad With Parmesan & Lemon
- Simply Delicious Radish Salad
- Best Simple Arugula Salad With Mushrooms & Balsamic
Other Avocado Recipes You’ll Love On Tastefully Grace!
- Blackened Salmon Avocado Tacos
- Tuna Avocado “Bruschetta” Toasts
- Seared Tuna Avocado Boats
- Mediterranean Avocado Toast
- 4 slices bread of choice toasted
- 2 just-ripe avocados
- 8 ounces smoked salmon
- ½ English cucumber very thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion very thinly sliced
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons everything bagel seasoning
- Lime or lemon wedges to serve
- In a bowl, add water, vinegar and onion. Let onions pickle for at least 10 minutes.
- Scoop half an avocado onto each piece of toast. Use the back of a fork to mash your avocado to desired consistency. You can also do this in a separate bowl with a potato masher!
- After the smashed avocado is added to your toast, add a layer of smoked salmon on top of the avocado and then a layer of cucumber slices.
- Drain your pickled onions and pat them dry with paper towels. Sprinkle a small handful of pickled onion on each avocado toast. Sprinkle toasts with desired amount of everything bagel seasoning.
- Serve with lime or lemon wedges.
- Using a mandolin is the fastest and best way to thinly slice cucumber and red onion!
- Everything bagel seasoning can typically be found pre-blended in the spice section of your grocery store! If you can’t find it, make your own by mixing together 1 tablespoon poppyseeds, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, ½ tablespoon dried garlic, ½ tablespoon dried onion, and 1 teaspoon coarse salt.