Ingredients to make the best mashed potatoes: cream, sour cream and butter. Make them even better? Add roasted garlic and chives!
I learned from the best: my mom is the mashed potato queen! Whenever mashed potatoes were on the menu growing up, my sister and I would beg my mom to make her infamous mashed potatoes. I’d hover over her, eager to get a sample or two as she made her potato masterpiece! Her mashed potatoes were always so creamy, so flavorful, and so decadent – just the way the doctor ordered them!
Using my quick roasted garlic trick and a sprinkle of fresh chives adds a little extra something to make your taste buds go wild. Make them for the holidays and your guests might forget there’s other things on the table!
Other Potato Recipes You’ll Love!
- Colcannon Potatoes (Delicious Irish Mashed Potatoes)
- Apple-Bacon Scalloped Potatoes
- Pommes Anna (Potatoes Anna)
- Crispy Shallot Roasted Potatoes
- 3 pounds yellow or yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 10 large garlic cloves roughly about a head of garlic, unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Handful of chives snipped
- Salt & pepper
- Boil peeled potato chunks in a large pot for 20-25 minutes until soft when poked with a fork.
- While potatoes are boiling, place unpeeled garlic cloves in a skillet over medium-high heat. Let them toast in the skillet for 7 minutes. Flip them so the other sides toast for an additional 7 minutes. The garlic skins should be charred, and the insides should be relatively soft.
- Let cloves cool, and then peel them! Add a dash of olive oil and mashed them with a fork.
- Drain potatoes when soft and mash them with a potato masher to desired consistency (I like them quite smooth!). Add butter, sour cream, and heavy cream. Mix until combined. Add mashed garlic cloves, snipped chives, and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Mix again until combined.
- Mashed potatoes are best served right away, but you can keep them in the pot (covered) on low heat until the rest of your dinner is ready! Stir occasionally.
- Keep leftovers in the fridge, covered, for 4-5 days. Microwave or heat on the stove gently, until warm.