These aren’t your average breakfast potatoes! Mixed with perfectly seasoned crispy roasted shallots and sweet mini peppers, this easy breakfast side dish may just be the star of the meal.
These breakfast potatoes are my favorite accompaniment for any egg dish like Fluffy French Omelettes or Cheesy Quiche Florentine. It’s not just because they’re delicious, but they are BEYOND easy to make, aren’t super heavy (they’re roasted, not fried!), and are great to make ahead, reheating when you’re ready to serve. Here’s my top 5 reasons why I love them…
Why You’ll Love This Breakfast Potatoes Recipe
- One pan wonder. Less dishes, less stress!
- Just 5 ingredients. You can make them any time.
- A healthy take on the classic. No frying…these breakfast potatoes are roasted in extra virgin olive oil.
- A make ahead dream. These potatoes keep and reheat so well!
- Leftovers? A great dinner side dish too.
Ingredients for Breakfast Potatoes
- Baby potatoes – I like to buy baby yellow or red potatoes and slice them in quarters lengthwise so they crisp up even more in the oven. You can just halve them, but they won’t be as crispy.
- Sweet mini peppers – you can buy sweet mini peppers in the produce section of most grocery stores! You can choose to keep the stems on while baking (they look extra pretty that way), or cut them off. If left on, whomever is enjoying them can easily pop off the pepper tops.
- Extra virgin olive oil – olive oil helps our breakfast potatoes crisp up on the outside while staying soft on the inside.
- Shallots – shallots are the secret ingredient for delicious breakfast potatoes! Simply peel them, rest them on their sides on a cutting board, and then slice them into thick rings.
- Dried Italian seasoning – I love Italian seasoning since it’s a blend of a bunch of delicious herbs. So easy!
How to Make Breakfast Potatoes
Full instructions in the recipe card; this is just an outline!
On a large baking sheet (lined with foil for less cleanup), add all ingredients (baby potatoes, mini peppers, olive oil, shallots, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper).
Toss all ingredients together, and then spread them out in a single layer.
Bake for 30-35 minutes at 375 degrees until the peppers start to blister and the potatoes are golden.
- Even Crispier.
For crispier potatoes, remove peppers from the baking sheet, and broil potatoes and shallots for 3-5 minutes longer. Serve with your favorite breakfast spread.
Looking for substitutions or other fun additions you can add to these potatoes? Here’s just a few:
- Shishito peppers instead of sweet mini peppers
- Herbs de Provence, or dried/fresh rosemary and thyme, instead of Italian seasoning
- Add in cooked, cubed sausage before baking
- Sprinkle pieces of uncooked bacon onto the baking sheet before cooking
- Sprinkle your favorite cheese (like parmesan, cheddar, or Monterey Jack) a minute before the breakfast potatoes are done roasting.
- Crumble parmesan cheese crisps over the top of your breakfast potatoes, right out of the oven.
- Add on a sprinkle of Italian Gremolata (Gremolada) Sauce as a garnish.
- Don’t like peppers? Eliminate them!
- The prettiest option is to leave the stems on your mini peppers while they’re roasting. However, you can remove them so people don’t have to pop them off as they eat!
- Cutting baby potatoes into quarters yields a crispier result!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Absolutely! Breakfast potatoes can be made up to 5 days in advance.
Store breakfast potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge after they’ve cooled completely
Reheat them by placing them on a baking sheet in a single layer at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes until sizzling. You can also reheat them in the microwave but they won’t be crispy.
More Breakfast Recipe You’ll Love!
- Easy Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
- Vegetable Egg White Frittata
- BEST Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes
- Moist Lemon Poppy Seed Scones
- 1 ½ pounds baby potatoes quartered
- 1 pound sweet mini peppers stems left on or cut off
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 shallots peeled and cut into thick rings
- ½ tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. On a large baking sheet (lined with foil for less cleanup), add all ingredients (baby potatoes, mini peppers, olive oil, shallots, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper).
- Toss all ingredients together, and then spread them out in a single layer.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the peppers start to blister and the potatoes are golden.
- For crispier potatoes, remove peppers from the baking sheet, and broil potatoes and shallots for 3-5 minutes longer. Serve with your favorite breakfast spread.
- I like to leave the mini pepper stems on until after baking. They look so pretty served whole! However that means whomever is enjoying the peppers needs to pop the stems off as they eat them. You can also opt to cut the stems off before baking if preferred!
- Cut baby potatoes into quarters for the crispiest result!