Parmesan and pancetta popcorn is a ridiculously delicious and easy hors d’oeuvre, appetizer or snack! Popcorn seasoned with olive oil, finely grated parmesan cheese, crispy pancetta and black pepper is a must-try for popcorn lovers. It’s like the carbonara of popcorn!
All I want for New Year’s Eve is a big bowl of parmesan pancetta popcorn, a Sparkling Apple Cider Martini or Blood Orange Cocktail, and time with Eric (so corny but true!). This popcorn is messy (don’t expect clean fingers) but totally, absolutely, fabulously delicious. You’ll never want popcorn any other way again!
- Bag of microwave popcorn – use microwave popcorn with no or light butter.
- Diced pancetta – you can buy diced pancetta in your grocery store, typically next to the cheese/salami and antipasto!
- Finely grated parmesan cheese – parmigiano-reggiano cheese is the best (it’s aged), but regular finely grated parmesan cheese works too!
- Extra virgin olive oil – olive oil coats the popcorn so the parmesan cheese sticks to it!
- Black pepper – seasoning with black pepper makes this popcorn even better.
- Pancetta -substitute bacon for pancetta.
- Parmesan cheese – substitute grana padano or pecorino for parmesan cheese.
- Extra virgin olive oil – substitute melted butter for olive oil.
- Black pepper – substitute a dash of hot pepper flakes for black pepper.
Where to Buy Pancetta
You can typically buy diced pancetta in your local grocery store, often next to the cheese/salami and antipasto!
How to Cook Pancetta
Place pancetta in a dry skillet, and cook over medium heat until crispy (about 10 minutes).
How to Make Popcorn in the Microwave (Best Method!)
You might think…microwaving popcorn is so easy! Well burning popcorn is all too common! The trick? Follow the popcorn bag’s instruction time. Set timer and stay by the microwave, listening for pops to slow to 2 seconds between pops. Remove bag from microwave, opening it away from your face to avoid hot steam!
How to Get Seasoning to Stick to Popcorn (Without Butter!)
The best way to get seasoning to stick to popcorn is with extra virgin olive oil, about 3 tablespoons per bag.
Other Pancetta Recipes on Tastefully Grace!
- Crispy Pancetta Braised Green Onions
- Creamy Brown Butter and Pancetta Risotto
- French Tomato & Pancetta Tart
- Pumpkin Carbonara
- Amalfi Coast Classic Carbonara
- 1 standard bag microwave popcorn with no or light butter
- 6 ounces diced pancetta
- ½ cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese or parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Place pancetta in a dry skillet, and cook over medium heat until crispy. Use a slotted spoon to remove pancetta from skillet and place in a separate bowl lined with a paper towel (to soak up extra fat).
- Microwave bag of popcorn according to instructions on packaging.
- In a large bowl, add about half the olive oil, all of the black pepper, and half of the drained pancetta. Add popcorn. Toss thoroughly.
- Add parmesan, the rest of the pancetta and olive oil. Toss again.
- The best way to serve your popcorn is to transfer it into a separate bowl (or bowls) with a large spoon. This helps to distribute the pancetta throughout! Serve with champagne…wink.
- I don’t add salt because the cheese & pancetta are very salty!