Growing up right outside of Buffalo, my husband approves of these buffalo chicken wraps, made with all the traditional accoutrements and juicy shredded chicken!
Football season isn’t complete in this household without buffalo chicken wraps. You know this recipe is a winner when my hubby, who grew up just outside Buffalo, gives his wholehearted approval. These buffalo chicken wraps come packed with all the traditional fixings (lettuce, tomato, ranch or blue cheese, etc.) and tender, juicy shredded chicken tossed in buffalo sauce. So roll up your sleeves and dive into these finger-licking good wraps!
Buffalo Chicken Wrap Ingredients
- Large flour tortillas – look for “burrito” sized flour tortillas! Those are large and perfect for wraps.
- Boneless skinless chicken breast – You can also use chicken thighs and follow this Baked Chicken Thighs recipe instead of breasts if preferred. Or use chicken tenders, make Parmesan Crusted Chicken, or use rotisserie chicken to cut out a step!
- Ranch or blue cheese dressing – choose a dressing depending on your preference.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – cheddar adds a complementary kick. You can use blue cheese crumbles if preferred.
- Buffalo sauce – the classic is Frank’s Original Red Hot but you can use whatever buffalo sauce you like.
- Tomato – you’ll need a regular tomato to dice up.
- Head of iceberg lettuce – you’ll need a small head of iceberg, or buy pre-shredded iceberg.
- Yellow onion – yellow onion adds a little crunch and tang. If you don’t like onion, you can leave it out.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Wraps
Full instructions in the recipe card; this is just an outline!
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, and bake for 17-22 minutes until they reach 165 degrees in the thickest part.
Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes, then shred it with a fork and knife.
- Pat dry.
Transfer shredded chicken to a bowl and gently pat dry with paper towels to prevent sogginess.
Mix shredded chicken with buffalo sauce and set aside.
Place a small handful of lettuce in the center of a tortilla. Add a portion of the chicken using tongs.
- Finish assembly.
Add 1-2 tablespoons of tomato, a sprinkle of onion, about 2 tablespoons of cheese, and 1-2 tablespoons of dressing to taste, avoiding overfilling.
Fold in the sides of the tortilla over the filling, fold up the bottom edge, and roll away from you for a tight wrap. Finish by folding the side flaps inward. Repeat for the other wraps and enjoy!
- Depending on exact tortilla size and your preferred ingredient proportions, you might end up with extra lettuce, tomato, and chicken, allowing you to make more wraps than listed!
- Tailor the ingredient amounts to your liking. If you’re a fan of generous amounts of ranch, for instance, make sure you have some extra on standby.
- Blue cheese crumbles are an alternative to cheddar cheese if preferred.
- You can use crispy chicken tenders or Parmesan Crusted Chicken if preferred!
- Make sure to squeeze out extra juice from your chicken so the wraps aren’t soggy.
- Don’t overstuff wraps; you won’t be able to fold them!
- Watch my video for tips and visual instructions on how to easily fold wraps.
What to Serve With Buffalo Chicken Wraps
Buffalo chicken wraps are a full meal on their own but here are some classic side dishes to accompany your wraps!
- Fresh veggie sticks: serve up some carrot and celery sticks on the side with a dipping sauce like ranch or blue cheese dressing. This classic combo cools the spicy kick of the wraps.
- Coleslaw: coleslaw provides a cool and crunchy contrast to the heat of the buffalo chicken.
- Fries: crispy regular or sweet potato fries are hard to beat!
- Onion rings: crispy onion rings…gimme!
- Potato salad: German Potato Salad is mayo-free, a little tangy and smoky which is the perfect pairing with buff chick wraps.
- Chips and salsa: try these Homemade Tortilla Chips with Avocado Salsa.
- Mixed green salad: for a lighter option, try a simple mixed green salad.
- Macaroni and cheese: if you’re looking for comfort food, creamy mac and cheese can be a hearty side dish to serve alongside the wraps. Feeling extra? Make Lobster Mac and Cheese.
- Garlic Bread: a side of garlic bread or garlic knots can soak up any extra buffalo sauce.
How to Store Buffalo Chicken Wraps
- Make ahead: you can prepare all fillings up to 3 days ahead, storing in the refrigerator (except for the tortillas) until ready to use. If you prefer to reheat the chicken, cover and reheat in increments of 30 seconds in the microwave, until warm. Make wraps last minute for best results; premade wraps can get soggy.
- Storage: if you buffalo chicken wraps aren’t too saucy, individually wrap each in foil, and place in the fridge for 1-2 days. But keep in mind these wraps are best enjoyed right away!
More Game Day Recipes You’ll Love!
- Garlic Parmesan Wings
- Healthy baked Tortilla Chips
- Easy Cheese Calzone
- Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1.75-2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- ½ cup ranch or blue cheese dressing
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup buffalo sauce like Frank’s Original Red Hot
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425℉. Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 17-22 minutes until chicken registers at least 165 degrees in the thickest part.
- Let chicken rest at room temperature for 5 minutes. Use a fork and knife to shred and pull apart chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Transfer chicken to a bowl. Use paper towels to gently squeeze out extra juice, so that the chicken juices don’t make the wraps soggy.
- Toss buffalo sauce into the chicken. Set aside.
- Add a small handful of lettuce to the middle of a tortilla, then use tongs to add a scoop of chicken.
- Finally, add 1-2 tablespoons of tomato, a sprinkle of onion, about 2 tablespoons of cheese, and 1-2 tablespoons of dressing. Finish with a drizzle more of buffalo sauce if desired. Don’t overstuff your wrap or you won’t be able to close it! Exact quantities of each ingredient depend on your preference.
- Making sure the fillings are in the center of the wrap, fold in the sides of the tortilla over the filling. Fold up the bottom edge of the tortilla over the filling, holding the sides in place. Rolling the wrap away from you, tuck the filling in as you go. Aim for a tight roll, but not so tight that it tears the tortilla. Fold the side flaps inward before you finish rolling. See the video below for visual instructions! Repeat for other wraps. Enjoy!
- You may have leftover lettuce, tomato and chicken for more wraps depending on the exact size of your tortillas and the ingredient ratios you like in each wrap!
- I look for roughly 1.75 pounds of chicken breast for 4 large wraps. You may have some extra chicken based on the size of your tortillas.
- Feel free to adjust ingredient quantities depending on your preference. For instance if you like a lot of ranch, make sure you have extras on hand!
- Feel free to add blue cheese crumbles instead of the cheddar cheese.
- Of course, you can use precooked rotisserie chicken or crispy chicken tenders if preferred.