Hate the nasty white “stuff” around every orange segment? Wish you could just eat the juicy, tender part? I have the 5 minute tutorial for you!
Just buy some ripe oranges (that have a little “give” when squeezed), get a sharp knife out, and in minutes, you’ll have a bowl full of Orange Segment White Membrane-Free!
Want another tip? Keep your orange segments pre-sliced in a refrigerated bowl covered with plastic wrap for up to 5 days! You’ll have the perfect snack or addition to salads pre-prepared. Or, wink-wink, you’ll be one step closer to the Citrus Peppercorn Smoked Salmon appetizer from yesterday’s post!
- Sharp knife
- Oranges navel, cara cara, etc.
- Start off by peeling an orange.
- Rest the bottom of the orange on a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to cut the thin white membrane off the outside of the orange. The orange should now be completely orange!
- Pick the orange up and place it in the palm of your hand so that you can easily see the membrane that separates each orange segments.
- Use your knife to cut between the membranes (lines between segments) to the center of the orange so that the segments pop out.
- Repeat until all segments are removed from the membrane. Repeat for all oranges!